One of the famous temples in India, Guruvayoor
is situated in an out-of-the way village in Chavakkad taluk, though
it draws a vast concourse of pilgrims from every part of the country.
Devotees throng to this temple not to see
and appreciate the variety of its structural patterns or to revel
in the festivals celebrated there, but only to feel the air of benediction
that pervades this famous shrine of Guruvayoor appan and to invoke
The important religious festivals celebrated
in this temple are:
1. Ashtami Rohini in Chingom (August - September)
2. Sukla Paksha Ekadasi in Vrischikom (November-December)
3. Kuchela Day in Dhanu (December-January) the day on which Kuchela
visited Sree Krishna with beaten rice.
4. Dhwaja Prathishta day (Erection of flag staff in the temple)
on Makayiram Asterism in Makaram (January- February).
5. Vishukkani in Medam (April)
6. The ten days Utsavam commencing from Pooyam Asterism in Kumbhom